The foundation for Cara’s family business advisory work began at age eight, when she went to work in her family’s real estate business. In a classic example of growing up as the second-generation in the family business, she began cleaning apartments and painting fire escapes. Later, as a credentialed professional, she performed family advisory work, providing accounting, financial and legal counsel.
After graduating from the University of California at Santa Barbara, Cara worked as an auditor in the Entrepreneurial Services Group of Price Waterhouse. During this time, she obtained her CPA designation. She discovered a natural talent for seeing inside the messes of a small company, and guiding leadership teams through the fixes. Meanwhile, the repetition of audit work revealed her desire to shift her focus to the strategic aspects of business advisory work. Cara returned to law school to broaden and deepen her perspective. Following graduation from law school, she practiced civil litigation and business law.
Since 1998, Cara has been both a CEO and owner of several companies and continued to work in her family’s business. She has developed a niche skillset around helping family businesses identify the root cause of crisis, and navigate change in a manner that strengthens the family system instead of breaking it down.
In addition to her technical expertise and coaching capabilities, Cara has studied the use of meditation and yoga to mitigate tension and release stress. As such, she holds certifications in yoga and meditation.
Education & Credentials
- Certificate in Family Business Advising, Family Firm Institute
- Attorney at Law admitted to California State Bar
- Certified Public Accountant by State of California (inactive)
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Practitioner (UCSD MBSR, Chopra Center)
- Cognitive Behavioral Training (400 hours)
- Hatha Yoga Teacher Training (300 hours)
- University of California at Santa Barbara, Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Economics, Accounting Emphasis
- McGeorge University of the Pacific, Sacramento, Juris Doctorate
Tom O’Connor, Founder, AmmexTank
Doug S., Louisville, Kentucky
- P. Shulman, Washington
Loryn Lyle/Sarah Dawber, Founders, SILVR